Professional Invitations (Lectures, Seminars, Workshops)
2013 |2012 |2011 |2010 |2009 |2008 |2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 |2003
2002 | 2001 | 2000 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996 |
1995 | 1994 | 1993
1992 | 1991 | 1990 1989 | 1988 | 1987 | 1986 |
1985 | 1984 | 1983
- In Panel Presentation on âThe Overall Value of Evidence-Based Healthcare,â EmblemHealth Value Initiative Roundtable, Fordham University Global Healthcare Innovation Center, New York, NY, May 2, 2013.
- How to detect and exploit non-adherence to guidelines? Panel presentation at MEDINFO 2013, the 14th World Congress on Medical and Health Informatics, Copenhagen, Denmark, August 20-23, 2013.
- Patel, V.L. Human-Computer Interaction: Itâs Not All About Technology. Invited Keynote Speaker at the 4th National Science Foundation- Sponsored US-Turkey Advanced Study Institute on Global Healthcare Challenges-Plenary, Antalya, Turkey, June 16-22, 2013.
- Patel, V.L. Invitational: Development of Cognitive Expertise in Biomedical Informatics: Itâs More than the Coursework, AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings, Washington, D.C., November 16-20, 2013.
- Patel, V.L. Invited Keynote Speaker at the 9th International Telemedicine Conference of Telemedicine Society of India (TELEMEDICON 2013), Jaipur, India, November 29-December 1, 2013.
- The Need for Informatics Education and Training in Dentistry. 2012 Annual Meeting of Dental Education Association (ADEA), Orlando, Florida, March 21, 2012.
- Health IT and Patient Safety: Current Status and Future Directions. Telfer School of Management, University of Ottawa, Canada, March 23, 2012.
- Cognition, Informatics and Safe Care of Patients. School of Nursing, Columbia University, April 11th, 2012.
- Clinical Errors and Patient Safety: The Role of Decision Support Systems. A panel presentation at the Nursing Informatics Conference (NI2012), Montreal, Canada, July, 2012.
- Clinical Bioinformatics: new challenges for human-centered decision-support systems. Panel presentation at Medical Informatics Europe (MIE 2012), Pisa, Italy, August 26th, 2012.
- Model-based Approaches to Assessment of Cognitive Functions. In panel presentation on âAnticipating the Special Needs of the 21st Century Silver/Ageing Economy: From Smart Technologies to Services Innovation,â OECD-WASEDA, University Joint Conference, Tokyo, Japan, September 12-13, 2012.
- Cognitive and Socio-Cultural Mediators for Team Communication in Critical Care Medicine. Workshop on Cultural Studies of Science, Rice University, Houston, Texas. Jan 21, 2011
- Discerning Patterns of HIV Risk in Healthy Young Adults. Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) Fellowship Seminar, UT Health, School of Public Health, Feb 22, 2011
- Information Science and Technology for the Health: Role of Human Factors Engineering. The Sciences at UNAM: Building the future of Mexico, Instituto de Investigaciones en MatemÃ¡ticas Aplicadas y en Sistemas, The Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico, March 1-2, 2011.
- The Mindâs Eye in the Era of PHRs: Will it Need Glasses? Keynote address to the HICSS health care track, cosponsored by Cyber-Infrastructure for Public Health and Health Servicesâ mini-track and the Kay Center, Kauai, Hawaii, January 6, 2010.
- AMIA perspective on informatics and behavioral change 31st Annual Meeting and Scientific Session, Behavioral Medicine: Building for the Future, Society of Behavioral Medicine, Seattle Washington, Apr 7, 2010
- How do Doctors Make Decisions? Healthcare Systems Management Research Seminar Series on Clinical Decision Making, Ottawa, Canada, April 23, 2010.
- Creating a National Center for Cognitive Informatics in Biomedicine.Keynote address at the Taipei Medical University for the 50th Anniversary of TMU, Taipei, Taiwan, May 18-20, 2010
- Human-Centered Design and Assessment of Health Information Technology. Invitational seminar to graduate students and faculty, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan, May 2010
- Technology in Health Professions: Role in Teaching and Learning, UT Health Dental Faculty Retreat, South Shore Harbor, June 18, 2010
- Science and Craft in Educating Health Professionals:The Role of Clinical Reasoning. Keynote address to the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington, July 10-14, 2010
- Medical Error and Failure Scientia, an Institute for the History of Science and Culture, Rice University, Houston, Texas, October 5, 2010.
- Cognitive Science Approach to Understanding Human-Computer Interaction in Medicine.Ã Keynote address presented at the International Joint Conference on Biomedical Engineering Systems and Technologies(BIOSTEC) Porto, Portugal, January 14-18, 2009.
- Whatâs New in Critical-Care Errors? A Cognitive Perspective. Keynote address at the meeting on Situational Awareness and Distributed Cognition in the ICU, Whistler, Canada, February 25-27, 2009.
- NLM sponsored lectures in Biomedical Informatics. San Paolo, Brazil, March 4-8, 2009.
- Translational Cognition: Cognitive and Social Science Foundation for Biomedical Informatics.Presentation at the Center for Biomedical Informatics, The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, March 24, 2009.
- New Human Abilities in the Connected Health Care Environment. Presentation at Meet the Experts: The Future of eHR, Kowloon, Hongkong, May 2,2009.
- Discerning Patterns of HIV Risk in Healthy Young Adults: Implications for Technological Interventions.Basic Medical Sciences Departmental Seminar Series, University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix, May 7, 2009.
- Debugging Myths: Curricula and Instruction in Biomedical Informatics.Keynote address at AMIA Academic Forum Third Annual Conference, Portland, Oregon, June 24, 2009.
- Medical Professionals and HCI Professionals together â A view towards better systems. HCI 2009 Workshop 14, HCI4MED meeting in Cambridge, UK, September 5, 2009.
- Innovation in Information Technology and Healthcare Workshop. Parc 55 Hotel, San Francisco, California, October 29-30, 2009.
- Human Factors Engineering in Health Informatics: Future Challenges. Human Factors Engineering in Health Informatics' Symposium, Sonoma, California, November 12-13, 2009.
- Facilitating Patientsâ Safe Access to Electronic Mental Health Records: A Proposed Cognitive Framework. IMIA-APAMI Working group 4 Conference, Hiroshima, Japan, November 24-27, 2009.
- Evidence Supporting the Role of Basic Medical Science in Clinical Practice.Inaugural presentation at the Biweekly Basic Medical Sciences Departmental Seminar Series, University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix, January 16, 2008.
- Errors in Medical Practice:Are Misadventures Inevitable? First presentation of the Mini- Medical School Spring 2008 Lecture Series, University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix,March 5, 2008.
- Cognition in the Generation and Management of Medical Errors. Internal Medicine Grand Rounds, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale,Arizona, April 4, 2008.
- User Interface Design and Usability Testing of EHRs and CPOEs. University of Michigan Medical School's Health Informatics Grand Rounds Lecture Series, May 16, 2008.
- Cognitive Barriers to Optimal Data Quality and Use. University of Maryland School of Nursing,18th Annual Summer Institute in Nursing Informatics, July 17, 2008.
- International Adjudication Committee Proposal Review Conference, International Research Chairs Initiative (IRCI), Ottawa, Canada, August 2008.
- Second Annual Thought Leadership Symposium, Southwest Center for HIV/AIDS, Phoenix, Arizona,
Hosted by the Flinn Foundation, September 12, 2008.
- AMIA Ã¢â¬â AAHC Design Session for BMI Competency, Nashville, Tennessee, October, 2008.
- The National Academies Keck Futures Initiative (NAKFI), Irvine, California, November 13-15, 2008.
- Keynote address to be presented at the International Patient Safety Congress in Anatalya, Turkey, March 28-31, 2007.
- Cognition and Patient Safety in Critical Care. Paper to be presented at the 30th Annual Conference on Shock in Baltimore, Maryland June 10, 2007.
- Keynote address to be presented at the Biennial Conference of the Indian Association for Medical Informatics in Kochi, India, November 16-18, 2007.
- Cognition and Medical Decision-Making: More is not Better. Paper presented as a part of the Symposium organized by James S McDonnell Foundation, 'Does the Quantity of Information Enhance the Quality of Knowledge?' at AAAS February 19, 2006.
- Cognitive Issues in the Development of Guidelines: Achieving Designer-User Compatibility. Invitational Symposium on Diffusion, Adoption and Maintenance of Psychiatric Treatment Algorithms International Psychopharmacology Algorithm Project (IPAP) and University at Buffalo School of Informatics, Buffalo, New York, May 5, 2006.
- Cognitive Science and Biomedical Informatics. Presentation at the Workshop on Biomedical Informatics, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel May 15, 2006.
- To err is not entirely human, or is it? Keynote address at the Annual Meeting, Israeli Association for Medical Informatics, Tel Aviv, Israel, May 17, 2006.
- Cognitive Science and Biomedical Informatics Workshop on Biomedical Informatics. Ben Gurion University Negev, Israel May 17, 2006.
- Cognitive Complexity in Healthcare Applications: Issues of Patient Safety. Keynote at the Human Factors and Medical Informatics IMIA and EFMI Workshop, Lille, France, May 24, 2006.
- Cognition and Nursing: Knowing Thinking and Doing. Keynote address at the International Nursing Informatics Conference 2006, Seoul, Korea, June 13, 2006.
- Emerging Paradigms of Cognition in Medical Decision-Making. Keynote address at the Workshop on Medical Thinking: What We Know, University College, London June 22-23, 2006.
- Cognition and Informatics: Knowing, Thinking, and Doing. Keynote address at the Asia Pacific Association for Medical Informatics (APAMI) 2006, Taipei, Taiwan, October 28, 2006.
- Health education and HIV: Role of informatics. Presented at National Technological University, Singapore, February 18th, 2005.
- Why study cognition for HIV risks: Implications for Asia. Presented at Nicholas Piramal Research Centre, Mumbai, India, February 23rd, 2005.
- Patterns of reasoning and condom use in young adults. HIV Grand Rounds, New York State Psychiatric Institute, March 31st, 2005.
- Models of Decision Making about Condom Use by Young Urban Adults, Workshop on Cognition and HIV-AIDS Education, sponsored by James S. McDonnell Foundation, Tarrytown House, NY January 8, 2005
- How information influences behavioral change: A McDonnell Foundation workshop March 3-5, 2005 Grand Colonial Hotel, La Jolla, CA.
- The Role of Cognition in Changing Behavior: Understanding Safe Sex Practices and HIV Concepts, An Advanced International Colloquium on Building the Scientific Mind (BtSM2005),The Hague, Netherlands, 17-20 May 2005
- "Beyond Cognition: Perceptions and Feelings in Young Adults' Risk-Taking Behavior. Saint Vincent's Hospital-Manhattan HIV Rounds, March 9th, 2004
- Distributed Cognition and Medical Errors in Psychiatric Emergency Care, NIMH workshop on "Cognitive Perspectives on Mental Health Practice," , May 4-5,2004, National Institute of mental Health, Bethesda, MD
- Cognitive Science Foundation for Health Education and Policy: Examples from HIV-related Studies The Human Development Ã¯Â¿Â½ Education division, The World Bank, May 5, 2004
- Decision making under uncertainty, Basic and Applied Decision Making in Cancer Control Meeting, NCI, Bethesda, Maryland 12-13 February, 2003
- Impact of EMR on Health Care ,Social Work in psychiatry, Psychiatric Institute New York, NY, February, 2003
- Walter Kintsch: A Psychology Beyond Words :Triple Festschrift in honor of Lyle Bourne, Walter Kintsch, and Thomas Landauer, University of Boulder, Boulder, Colorado
- The Intermed collaboration, the Science of Collaboratories workshop, Ann Arbor MI, June 2003
- Patient Safety issues in Nursing Informatics. International Nursing Informatics post Conference workshop, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil June, 2003
- Pasture's Quadrants a dynamic construct for educational research, American Education Research Association/ Postdoctoral Research Fellows summer retreat, Chauncey Conference Center, Princeton, NJ, August, 2003
- Problem-based learning, Invitational; key-note address at the European Dental Education Meeting, Dresden, Germany, September, 2003
- Cognitive Science and Medical Informatics: Implications for Doctor-Patient Communication Johns Hopkins University, November, 2003
- The challenges in bringing formal evidence in to Practice, Grand Rounds, Children's Hospital Informatics Program, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA. March, 2002
- The future of paperless hospital IMIA Annual meeting. Taipei, Taiwan, October, 2002
- Medical Decision Making, Workshop on training and performance assessment, Brazil, December, 2002
- Applying the Science of Learning to the University and Beyond: Cognitive, Motivational, and Social Factors. Spencer Foundation/APS sponsored workshop, Kellogg Center, Pomona, CA, March 1-4, 2001.
- Cognitive Science and its Role in Medical Informatics Research and Practice. NLM sponsored initiative at Sao Paulo, Brazil, May30-June3, 2001.
- International Summer School on Design- for- Safety-2001. The European Institute of Cognitive Sciences and Engineering (EURISCO), Saint-Lary, Prénées, France, August 2001.
- Medical Informatics and the science of Cognition, Centre for Health Informatics University of New South Wales, Sydney Australia, September, 2001
- Electronic Health Record. Japanese Medical Informatics Association, December 2001 Tokyo, Japan
- Active Knowledge and Cognitive Performance in Professional Education. "Advances in Teaching and Learning" Day. Houston Health Science Centre. University of Texas at Houston. Houston, TX, February 1, 2000.
- Development of Medical Decision Making Processes, Presentation as a part of the Panel on the "Roles of Psychological Theory and Research in Improving Medical Decisions", February 22, 2000, Washington, D.C.
- Role of Cognitive and Social Sciences and Humanities for Medical Education and Training in the Information Age: Victoria, British Columbia, Workshop, February, 2000.
- Are Health Report Cards Measuring Up? HEALlNet 5th Annual Conference 2000, Toronto, Ontario, March, 2000
- Impact of a Computer-Based Patient Record System on Data Collection, Knowledge Organization, and Reasoning, Stanford Medical Informatics Colloquium, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA April, 2000.
- Heuristics and Medical Errors in Emergency Conditions. Johnson Space Center, NASA Houston. May, 2000.
- Cognitive Models in Training Health Professionals to Protect Patients' Confidential Information. International Medical Informatics Association Working Group 4 (Security and Confidentiality for Electronic Health Record) University of Victoria, B.C. July, 2000.
- Heuristics and Medical Errors in Emergency Conditions. NASA Smart Systems Presentation, NASA Houston. September 8-10, 2000.
- Training Physicians to Meet the Technological Changes of the New Century. National Academy of Medicine, Hong Kong. October, 2000.
- What is Wrong with EMR? Canada E-Health 2000 Conference, Ottawa, Canada, October, 2000.
- The impact of the Clinical Systems on Human Cognition: Computer-Based Patient Records as an Example. Seminar. Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, NY, December, 2000.
- Cognitive Science Research at the Interface between Psychiatry and Medical Informatics. Psychiatry Grand Rounds. Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, NY, December, 2000.
- Psychiatric Grand Rounds. Applying the Science of Learning to the University and Beyond: Cognitive, Motivational, and Social Factors. Spencer Foundation/APS sponsored workshop, Kellogg Center, Pomona, CA, March 1-4, 2001.
- Laboratories Without Walls: Collaboration in Health Care. HEALNet 4th Annual General Meeting, Calgary, Alberta, March 1999
- Issues in User Interface Design: Role of Cognitive Science. Faculty of Engineering, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, April 1999.
- Science of Cognition and User Interface Design. Houston Health Science Centre, University of Texas at Houston, Houston, TX, March 1999.
- The Networked Health Care Environment of the Future: Requirements for New Human Abilities. MedNet 1999, 4th World Congress of Internet in Medicine, Heidelberg, Germany, September, 1999.
- Building Co-laboratories in Medicine and Health: Exploring Human-Machine Interaction. Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, February, 1998.
- Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, February, 1998.
- Cognitive Aspects of Interface Design for Biomedical Environments: Semi-plenary session at FALL AMIA in Orlando, Florida, November, 1998.
- Scientific Collaboration in Health Informatics: Health Informatics, HEALNet, Victoria, BC, April, 1997.
- The Role of Communication and Co-ordination between Academia, Community and Health Services: Colombian Association of Medical Schools, Santafe de Bogota DC, Colombia. September, 1997.
- Medical Expertise and Aging: Conference on Information Processing & Cognition; Destin, Florida, 1997
- Role of Problem Based Learning in Dental Education, International Congress of Dentistry Orlando, Florida, 1997
- Strategies for Changing Physicians' Beliefs and Behavior: Conference sponsored by SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals AB. Barcelona, Spain. February, 1996.
- Cognitive Issues: COACH 21. Review Panel - Scientific Program Committee. Toronto, Ontario. April, 1996.
- Understanding Cognitive Processes in Decision Making. New Information Technology and National Heart Alert Program, Bethesda, MD. April, 1996.
- Decision Making in Health Care: How studies of practice inform theory. Naturalistic Decision Making, Virginia, USA, April, 1996.
- Human Resources in Health and Medical Education: Conference on Human Resources in Health and Medical Education. Buenos Aries, Argentina. September, 1996.
- The Nature of Medical Expertise and Its Relationship to Medical Informatics: Columbia University. New York City, New York. January 1995.
- Cognition and Technology in Health Education Research: Diffusion and Dissemination of Health Education. Health Promotions Canada & NCI. Vancouver, British Columbia. March, 1995.
- The Acquisition of Medical Expertise in Complex Dynamic Environments: The acquisition of expert performance. Wakulla Springs, FL. April, 1995.
- A Healthy Body and a Healthy Mind?: The Relationship between cognitive and physical illness: Discussant. Conference sponsored by the Partnership for Child Development, Oxford, University, The Wellcome Trust, and the James S. McDonnell Foundation. Worcestershire, UK. June, 1995.
- Interdisciplinary in the Construction of the New Medical Education: World Conference of Medical Education. BogotÃ¯Â¿Â½, Colombia. October, 1995.
- Strategies for Changing Physician Behavior: Coronary Heart Disease Management - University Program. Conference sponsored by Merck & Co., Inc. Escorial, Spain, October, 1995.
- Cognitive Models of Reasoning in Medicine: Distinguished Lecture Series, Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies, Carleton University. Ottawa, Ontario. January, 1994.
- Cognition and Knowledge Representation in Health Informatics: Scientific and Academic Research Special Interest Group of the Canadian Organization for the Advancement of Computers in Health (SARIG of COACH), Vancouver, British Columbia. March, 1994.
- Medical Decision Making: Norwalk Hospital, Yale University, Norwalk, Connecticut. April, 1994.
- Cognitive Models for Characterizing Biomedical Knowledge and Expertise: Keynote address. Conference on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering. Nicosia, Cyprus. May, 1994.
- Cognitive Models of Clinical Reasoning Conceptual Representation: Keynote address. Conference on Natural Language and Medical Concept Representation. Lake Geneva, Switzerland. May-June, 1994.
- The Nature of Medical Expertise: Applications of Cognitive Science Principles: School of Behavioral Sciences, Macquarie University. Sydney, Australia. August, 1994.
- Symposium on Marshaling Technology for Development: Reaction to Keynote Address on Education: The World Bank and the National Research Council of the National Academies of Sciences, Medicine, and Engineering. Irvine, CA. November, 1994.
- Effects of Conventional and Problem-Based Medical Curricula on Problem Solving: Medical Grand Rounds, Faculty of Medicine, Medical Education, The University of Manitoba. Winnipeg, Manitoba. February 1993, January, 1994.
- Transfer of Technology to the Developing Countries: McGill Student Pugwash, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec. February, 1993.
- Medical Education in Transition: An Argument for Science-Based Curriculum: Medical Grand Rounds. Royal Victoria Hospital. Montreal, Quebec. February, 1993.
- Cognition and Medical Education: Roll Conference on Medical Education. The University of Michigan Medical Center. Captiva Island, Florida. February-March, 1993.
- Cognitive Models of Expertise in Medicine: Plenary session presented at The Third International Workshop on Human & Machine Cognition, Special Topic 1993: Expertise in Context. Seaside, Florida. May, 1993.
- Medical Information and The Documents: Day of the Document. "De Reehorst" in Ede, The Netherlands. May, 1993.
- User Interfaces: (Co-group Leader) International Medical Informatics Association. Working Conference on Workstations - Assignment 1. Washington, DC. June, 1993.
- Cognitive Science and Medical Education: State-of-the-Art: Plenary Session - 2nd Gauss Symposium, International Conference on Medical Mathematics and Physics. Munich, Germany. August, 1993.
- Cognitive Assessment and Health Education in Relation to Child Health Status: Partnership for Child Development. Ocho Rios, Jamaica. September 1993.
- The Role of Biomedical Knowledge in Medical Education: A Cognitive Science Perspective: 2nd Gauss Symposium, International Conference on Medical Mathematics and Physics. Munich, Germany. August, 1993
- Cognition, Education and Child Health: Community, Developmental & Epidemiologic Research, McGill University-Montreal Children's Hospital Research Institute. Montreal, Quebec. November, 1993.
- Panel on the Health Professional Workstation: Report of an International Conference: Panelist - Patient-Centered Computing: Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care, A Conference of the American Medical Informatics Association. Washington, DC. November, 1993.
- The Problem Based Learning Curriculum as Compared with the Traditional Curriculum: Medical Education Workshop, The University of the West Indies, Mt. Irvine Bay Hotel, Tobago, West Indies. February, 1992
- Cognitive Models of Clinical Reasoning: Evidence from Studies of the Development of Expertise: Division of Information Science, Stanford University, Stanford, California. April, 1992
- Real versus Artificial Expertise: The Development of Cognitive Models of Clinical Reasoning: Département d'informatique et de récherche opérationnelle (I.R.O.) Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec. April, 1992.
- The Representation of Medical Information in Novices, Intermediates, and Experts: Plenary Session Speaker: World Congress on Medical Informatics, Geneva, Switzerland. September, 1992
- Reconciling Cognitive Research with Health Education Assessment and Intervention: Workshop on Cognition and Educational Achievement for the Partnership for Child Development. Kingston and Ocho Rios, Jamaica. November, 1992
- Real versus Artificial Expertise: The Development of Cognitive Models of Clinical Reasoning: Invited Keynote Speaker: Third European Conference on AI in Medicine. Maastricht, the Netherlands. June, 1991
- Role of Tutor in PBL Methodology: Problem Based Learning Workshop, Guyana, South America. August, 1991
- Cognition and Technology Innovation in Health and Agriculture: (with T.O. Eisemon) McGill International, Montreal, Quebec. February, 1990.
- Connaissance en prior dans la comprehension du text: Laboratoire de psychologie, Université de Paris VIII, Paris, France. Fall 1990
- Two Modes of Thought: A Comparison of Effects of Conventional and Problem-Based Medical Curricula: Plenary Session, Second International Symposium on Problem-Based Learning, Yogyakarta, Indonesia. October, 1990
- Inducing Backward Reasoning in Medical Problem Solving: Medical Rounds, Faculty of Medicine, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario. November, 1990.
- Inducing Backward Reasoning in Medical Problem Solving: Department of Medical Informatics, UniversitÃ¯Â¿Â½ de Pavia, Pavia, Italy. December, 1990
- Analyse de protocole en contexte médical: Laboratoire de psychologie, Université de Paris VIII, Paris, France. February, 1989
- Hypothesis Evaluation from Bayesian and Psychological Perspectives: Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, Quebec. May, 1989.
- The Study of Expertise: Prospects and Limits: Max Planck Institute for Human Development and Education, Berlin, Germany. June, 1989
- Role of Basic Science in Medical Curriculum: University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia. September, 1988
- Cognitive Science in Medicine: Department of Psychology and Cognitive Science Program, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York. December, 1988
- Cognitive Science and Technological Interventions: Rockefeller Foundation, New York City, New York. February, 1987
- Relationship of Comprehension to Problem Solving in Clinical Medicine: Cognitive Science Center, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec. February,1987.
- Cognitive Studies on Health Care Delivery in the Third World Countries: Bureau of Educational Research, Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya. January, 1986
- Role of Situation Models in Clinical Reasoning: American Educational Research Association, Division C Symposium on "Cognitive Science in Medicine: The Nature of Acquisition and Application." San Francisco, CA. April, 1986
- Basic Science & Clinical Knowledge: Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario. September, 1986.
- Assessment of Teaching & Learning in Medicine: Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario. November, 1986.
- Models of Medical Problem Solving: Evidence from Cognitive Psychological Studies: Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. November, 1986
- Role of Knowledge in Community-Based Education. Office of International Research Development, Cairo, Egypt. September, 1985.
- Role of Biomedical Knowledge in Clinical Reasoning: Josiah Macy Jr., Foundation, New York City, New York. Organized day of "Scientists Meet the Journalists." May, 1985
- Discourse Analysis: Its Role in the Study of Clinical Reasoning: School of Medicine, Southern Illinois University, Springfield, Illinois. January,1984
- Propositional Representation of Medical Problem Solving Protocols: Cognitive Science Society, Invitational Symposium on Ã¯Â¿Â½Knowledge-Based Medical Problem Solving." Boulder, Colorado. June, 1984.
- Cognitive Processes in Comprehension and Problem Solving by Medical Students and Physicians: Department of Medical Education, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. February, 1983
- Cognitive Processes in Comprehension and Knowledge Acquisition by Medical Students and Physicians. University of Limburg, Maastricht, the Netherlands. Spring, 1983
- Medical Problem Solving: State of the Art: Medical Grand Rounds, Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec. December, 1983.